March Along to Success! Revere’s Patriot Battalion Competes in Drill Regional Championship

The Revere High School Army JROTC Armed Color Guard Team: CDT Sebastian, Mejia / CDT Jennifer, Salmeron / CDT Karla, Mendoza and CDT Ismah, Khan.

Emiliano Moreno Manzano|'16

The RHS JROTC Armed Regulation Team
The RHS JROTC Armed Regulation Team
The RHS JROTC Unarmed Exhibition Platoon
The RHS JROTC Unarmed Color Guard Team
The RHS JROTC Unarmed Color Guard Team

On March 5, 2016, the Revere High School’s Army Junior Reserves Officer Training Corps (JROTC) Drill team proceeded to the next challenge: The 2nd Brigade Regionals Drill Competition. The team departed to Queens, New York on Friday, March 4th and competed at Francis Lewis High School on March 5th against eleven schools in the region – where all the North-Eastern JROTC state champions competed.

A few months prior, in December, the RHS Drill Team won the Governor’s Cup after competing against twelve other schools from the Commonwealth of Massachusetts Army League (COMAL). The Governor’s Cup is awarded to the school that scores first place overall—out of twelve schools—in the COMAL Drill Competitions throughout the fall season. This marked the first State Championship victory for the RHS JROTC. The winner of the COMAL state championship is invited to the northeastern regional championship at Francis Lewis High School in Queens, New York.

The seven events the RHS Drill Team competed in the Brigade Regional Competition were Armed and Unarmed regulation, Inspection, Color guard and unarmed exhibition. Drill Competitions evaluate and judge Cadets on synchronization and proficiency in drill and ceremony in accordance with the Army regulation.

Cadets in the both regulation teams follow a marching routine while they execute commands given by the team commander. The Color Guard teams execute a ceremonial routine by using the National flag and the organizational flag guarded by two rifles. The Exhibition team performs a routine of rhythmical beats by using body movements. Inspection Teams are tested in discipline and knowledge of the military, including its chain of command, historical background, and branches.

Teams Results
Armed Regulation 4th Place
Armed Inspection 8th Place
Armed Color Guard 4th Place
Unarmed Regulation 10th Place
Unarmed Inspection 8th
Unarmed Color Guard 7th Place
Unarmed exhibition Platoon 5th

JROTC is a program that is offered at the high school level and teaches high school students the value of citizenship, leadership, service to the community, personal responsibility, and a sense of accomplishment, while instilling in them self-esteem, teamwork, and self-discipline. The mission statement reflects the overall meaning and purpose of JROTC, which is “To Motivate Young People to be Better Citizens.”

RHS competes in eleven events that constitute the “DRILL” team. There are (2) Divisions ARMED and UNARMED. The Armed Team competes with replicas of the World War I M1903 Springfield battle rifle.