Zoom Raids at RHS: Can They Be Stopped?

It seems like every week there’s a new story about an RHS Zoom meeting being raided, or “bombed” as some people like to call it. For anyone who may be out of the loop:

Zoom raids/bombings are when someone joins a Zoom call with the intention to disrupt what’s going on.

Zoom raiding has been a thing before Zoom even existed. Ever since voice and video calls were created, people have found ways to disrupt calls. People used to, and in some cases still do, disrupt calls over platforms such as Skype, TeamSpeak, and Discord. While the platforms have changed over time, the methods people use to disrupt these calls hasn’t. Over all of these platforms, the intention of raiders was to be as obnoxious as possible to annoy everyone in the call. There are many ways people have raided Zoom calls in the past, but unfortunately the trend at RHS appears to be students cussing into their mic, using racial slurs, and drawing on the screen to annoy the presenter. The only motive for this seems to be immaturity, because a very small minority of people are doing this and an even smaller minority find these raids to be funny.

Over the past few months, there have been numerous Zoom raids involving RHS students. These Zoom raids, to some, don’t seem like a big deal, but they’ve had consequences already for the school. In a public announcement made by Ms. Currie, “THE DIVERSITY ORG has decided to cancel events moving forward at Revere High School. We had planned some incredible opportunities for internships and mentoring. Ernst & Young one of the top accounting firms in the world, had offered to partner with Revere High School along with The Diversity Org project.”

People simply trying to find opportunities for themselves last week were robbed of the chance by people who thought it would be funny to spam racial slurs at an African American host. Because of these people, the organization presenting to students will no longer come back, and justifiably so. Not only did they rob their fellow students out of opportunities, they robbed future students out of these opportunities as well. After robbing RHS students out of these opportunities, they were quickly caught. Although the Zoom presentation was hosted by The Diversity Org. rather than the school, Dr. Rockwood mentioned over email, “A few students were identified and they have been contacted by RHS admin.”

Over time, the school has taken steps to limit these Zoom raids. Most classes will not allow you to join if you don’t have your full name listed. This has proven to be very effective, as there haven’t been many Zoom raids involving individual classes since the first week of school.