The College Fair Should be Longer

Joe Dimino, Staff Writer

On September 25th, Revere High School juniors and seniors had a college fair. During this college fair, students were able to talk to college representatives about schools and potential majors as they get closer to going to college. The school tried its best to have something for everyone, whether they want to go to a state school, private school, or even the army. 

As one student put it, “Overall besides [Ivy Leagues], I think there was [a college for everyone]. Besides Ivy League colleges, community colleges attended the college fair if you wanted to pursue college for a cheaper price.. Or even a regular four year college like Boston University, UMass Boston, [UMass] Amherst, and stuff like that.”

The college fair was set up so that the vast majority of people could find at least one college they were interested in and get an idea of what they want to pursue within the next couple of years.The primary issues with the college fair was that students didn’t have enough time to look into many colleges. If a student was interested in multiple colleges, they had to make conversations with each representative quick, or they wouldn’t have time to visit all the colleges they wanted. Even if they did have quick conversations with the representatives, odds are that they couldn’t get to every college they wanted to within the half hour given to them. 

There were well over ten colleges at the fair, not including branches of the military that were there. This means that both juniors and seniors only had three minutes or less if they wanted to take a look at every college at the fair. This may seem like a good amount of time to some, but it gets significantly shorter when there are lines at a specific college booth. These lines can take away a ton of time from students hoping to look into a specific college. 

A junior who was at the college fair said “[If I had more time], I definitely would have talked to more people especially from colleges. I want to go to like Lesley. I definitely only had a brief time when I was talking about college funds for Lesley and I just wanted to talk more but I didn’t have enough time.”

Time flies by during this college fair. The college fair is a total of one hour in length: a half hour for financial aid information and a half hour to talk with college representatives. During the financial aid portion of the college fair, the person presenting the information to students and had to rush through and end the presentation somewhat abruptly to ensure students could talk to the representatives on time. Being required to rush a session dedicated to financial aid in a city where many students will be heavily reliant on it to get through college isn’t very helpful to them.