The Patriot Voice

Sheltered Instruction

David Apolinario Lima, Guest Contributor

Sheltered Instruction known as Sheltered Class, is a special class taken by transferred students from another country whose the first language is not English. The content of those classes are not different than a regular class, though the teachers try to talk slowly with easy comprehensive words. When teachers incorporate sheltered methodology, they have to use a strategy of nine key components. Despite of all these rules, the methodology need to be arranged for all types of students, there’s no such school that don’t have the worst student and the best student. My opinion is directly related to teachers point of view. The question is how students who are supposed to learn English wherever year they attended the school can do it in a short space of time before college. If the teacher is capable of administering the lessons effectively half the way is set. Although the causal direction of this tautologous observation is not clear. If the lesson is administered effectively, then, by definition, the teacher is capable of administering it effectively, but if it is not administered effectively, then it cannot be determined whether this is due to teacher factors or methodological weakness. A strong strategy of methodology is the use of graphics and similar “multi-modal” instructional tools, and speak using shorter “sentences and clauses.”  The success of teaching the content of the specific class is also related to the experiences shared among the student and teacher experiences together like be respectful and pay attention to the teacher requests. Doing all the work is a good way of learning the language, most of the activities passed is a strategy work of the teacher to help the student learn English and the content of the class. The success in learning English is directly related in how well you resolve the given activity, by looking for facts or using the translator to learn the word you can expand your vocabulary. As well practicing your English with people who first language is English can improve your spelling and listening, also you can make new friends. Sheltered class is the best class to take if your first language is not English.

3 Comments

3 Responses to “Sheltered Instruction”

1. Paiva Ítalo on April 12th, 2019 6:49 pm

Respondendo em Português…
    Muito interessante ver que podemos contar com metodologias que facilitem a vida de estudantes estrangeiros, precisamos parar de pensar que o mundo e tão pequeno que não possamos melhor ele para todos.

Grande abs Davi! Espero que esse seja o primeiro de vários textos que vc possa escrever e se desenvolver.

2. Manuella on April 12th, 2019 7:14 pm

This is a very well written text. Great use of words. Now I know more about sheltered classes! Good job! I’m very proud of you!

3. Rebeca on April 12th, 2019 7:38 pm

Lindíssimo
    Arrasou
    Falou tudo!!!

If you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a gravatar.

• Sheltered Instruction

Opinion

The AP Scam

• Sheltered Instruction

Opinion

Say No to Corporations in Education

• Sheltered Instruction

Opinion

Racism in Today’s Politics: Not What You’d Expect

• Sheltered Instruction

Opinion

Contemporary Oppression of Femininity

• Sheltered Instruction

Opinion

The Say of a Student

• Sheltered Instruction

Opinion

Pep Rally: A Forced Tradition

• Sheltered Instruction

Opinion

What Even Is A Portfolio?

• Sheltered Instruction

Opinion

Should You Take A Gap Year?

• Sheltered Instruction

Opinion

Standardized Testing: Is Kindergarten Too Early?

• Sheltered Instruction

Opinion

School Dress Codes: For Or Against?

Sheltered Instruction