Catch Up!

Back to Article
Back to Article

Catch Up!

Are you failing any classes? Do you have too many absences? If so, you should consider registering for Saturday School. Saturday School is a program designed for students to earn more elective credits, gain back attendance points, and get extra help towards passing your class. They can also help with portfolio entries. Did we mention that this program is free?

The goal is to give students the opportunity to better themselves as students. Sure, you have to sacrifice some extra time for it, but overall it is just a temporary measure to ensure you raise your grades and graduate with your class. There are about four teachers who will hold Saturday sessions: one for Math, one for English, one for Science, and one for History. However, the schedule depends on what courses are chosen for those Saturdays. It starts at 9AM and lasts through 12PM at RHS. You have to be on time, otherwise you won’t be allowed in.

If you are planning on earning half a credit, the courses are film and writing, but you have to attend the dates given. Students who attend eight Saturdays earn one elective credit, and if you attend four Saturdays you get half an elective credit. If you attend, remember to bring any school work and your Chromebook so that you have something to work on. You may also work on Khan Academy or Apex.

Another resource is the National Honors Society students which offer to tutor. Teachers and administrators can get students looking for tutors in contact with the National Honors Society to find someone that can help them get the specific help that they need. Mr. Walker also offers to tutor after school on Thursdays; he mainly offers math tutoring, but his program also has students that are available to tutor other subjects. This is held every Thursday after school in Mr. Walker’s classroom.

We spoke to Ms. Collura, the Vice Principal of the Red House, about Saturday school and other resources for students who are behind and need extra help catching up. She told us, “The students that were committed to coming worked hard while they were here. They got the additional support that they needed from the teachers that were teaching, got the work done… and also earned back the points that they were failing for attendance.”

The school has also increased the number of days that you can be absent; now, you need eleven attendance points to fail. If a student still fails due to absences, they can set up “attendance intervention programs”, depending on the student’s circumstances. Ms. Collura looks at it as a way to “hold the students accountable for making them do most of the work… so that they can own the fact that they were absent or tardy too much so they can change that behavior.”

Overall, there are lots of opportunities and resources for students to be able to make up for whatever may be holding them back from being the best student they can be. You just have to know what works best for you and be consistent with it. RHS administration, faculty, and students are here to help.