The Patriot Voice

Pep Rally: A Forced Tradition

Anonymous, Guest Contributor

The Revere High School Pep Rally is held every year to get people excited about the annual Thanksgiving Day game. It can be exciting for some people, but for others, it can be dreadful. Personally, I am not a fan of the Pep Rally. I dread it. This may just be because I am not a big fan of sports, but the Pep Rally just seems like a waste of time. Students are forced to attend the rally even if they don’t support school sports. For those who don’t care about the Pep Rally (like me), the hour long Pep Rally seems to last a whole school day. Students are encouraged to scream to show that their class has the most “school spirit,” but most use the Pep Rally to their advantage to go crazy and throw whatever they want at others in the bleachers. It is way too crowded on the bleachers and it is very uncomfortable. I really don’t like being surrounded by a lot of people, especially people that I don’t know. The Pep Rally is supposed to promote school spirit but it does the exact opposite for me. The Pep Rally is one of the reasons why I don’t have much school spirit. I like Revere High School and all, but the Pep Rally is just foolish. I would much rather go to my classes than the Pep Rally.

The turkey toss is another reason why students, staff, or teachers may not support the Pep Rally. It just seems pointless. It certainly does not convince anyone to watch the game, so, what is the purpose of it? It’s not like someone is going to decide to go to the game because a turkey was tossed. I understand that it is the day before Thanksgiving, but the Pep Rally serves the purpose of promoting school spirit. How does tossing a turkey around promote school spirit? The answer is, it doesn’t. Watching a turkey get tossed around by some cheerleaders is not exactly my idea of entertainment, and it is just cruel. It is also completely inconsiderate to any vegans or vegetarians.

The Pep Rally is designed to entertain only students who play or watch school sports. There are many people that are forced to attend the Pep Rally and endure the screaming and throwing of objects even if they don’t care about sports. It just isn’t fair. I’m not saying that the Pep Rally should just cease to exist, because there may be people that actually enjoy the Pep Rally. Many school athletes (especially football players) enjoy the Pep Rally, as they should, because it urges people to watch their games and support them. I can appreciate the effort that goes into the Pep Rally. However, there should be an alternative choice for those who don’t want to go, such as watching a movie in the auditorium. It is the day before the long Thanksgiving weekend, it should be fun and exciting for everybody, not just school athletes.

**Please keep in mind that the opinions represented in this editorial do not reflect the thoughts of RHS Patriot Voice’s staff. These are the thoughts of the writer and the writer alone.

6 Comments

6 Responses to “Pep Rally: A Forced Tradition”

1. Adam F on January 31st, 2019 10:12 am

jaryd benson suggested we have pep rallies for every sports season and it sounds like a good idea to be honest many students would enjoy this idea as well and the school spirit.

2. Emily Woodman on January 31st, 2019 10:12 am

I think personally that the pep rally is a way to try in engage students but I can see for some people it does the opposite. I think that the Pep rally is a great way and the school is trying to find ways to improve school spirit. The past year the school has been trying to get students more involved and I think the pep rally is a great day to do that. I also think that there should be a pep rally for every sports season.

3. Jaryd Benson on February 26th, 2019 9:52 am

I can see what this person is saying, because I know a lot of people who also think its a waste of time and rather do something else. This person is speaking for many people who also don’t like this. I’m a football player so I love the pep rally and I think it shows a lot of school spirit and hype for the big thanksgiving game.

4. simone on February 26th, 2019 9:55 am

the pep rally should be altered into a nonsport specific event

5. Valeria G. on February 26th, 2019 9:56 am

Personally I do not mind the pep rally, I remember freshman year i did not like it because we were new to the school but for example this year it was fun and since our class feels somewhat comfortable with each other it was fun to come together and end the day on a good note before the long weekend.

6. Adam Smadi on February 26th, 2019 9:56 am

For as much as I enjoy the Pep Rally, I can understand why students like the writer above may not enjoy it, however tradition doesn’t just die out because not all of us agree with it. Every generation of Revere High School students has gone through this culture of the day of the Pep Rally, so even if the event itself is not completely enjoyable to everyone, it’s apart of what being a student at Revere High School is.
    Two things the writer did well was stick with their opinion heavily, pushed for their belief on the subject consistently to prove their point. They also brought up both sides of the argument, addressing those of whom who may enjoy the rally.

If you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a gravatar.

• Pep Rally: A Forced Tradition

Opinion

The AP Scam

• Pep Rally: A Forced Tradition

Opinion

Say No to Corporations in Education

• Pep Rally: A Forced Tradition

Opinion

Racism in Today’s Politics: Not What You’d Expect

• Pep Rally: A Forced Tradition

Opinion

Contemporary Oppression of Femininity

• Pep Rally: A Forced Tradition

Opinion

The Say of a Student

• Pep Rally: A Forced Tradition

Opinion

What Even Is A Portfolio?

• Pep Rally: A Forced Tradition

Opinion

Should You Take A Gap Year?

• Pep Rally: A Forced Tradition

Opinion

Standardized Testing: Is Kindergarten Too Early?

• Pep Rally: A Forced Tradition

Opinion

School Dress Codes: For Or Against?

• Pep Rally: A Forced Tradition

Opinion

Chasing Your Dreams

Pep Rally: A Forced Tradition