School Dress Codes: For Or Against?

Sofia Aristizabal, Staff Writer

It is currently December of the year 2018, and here we are continuing the legacy of discriminating and sexualizing everything a woman or young girl does and wears. I hope you all pictured the sarcasm and the eye roll after reading that sentence out loud, because it was definitely there. It’s truly difficult for me to wrap my head around the fact woman are still being told they cannot do this or they can’t wear that because it’s inappropriate, or makes others uncomfortable, especially in an environment like a high school. Yes, in the twenty-first century teenage girls are still being told by the school administration that showing your midriff, showing your shoulders, or wearing tight clothing makes those around them uncomfortable and distracts their peers, shocking right? While young girls are being told to cover up to ensure those around them can concentrate, young men are allowed to wear their pants down to their ankles with their boxers showing, and wear t-shirts with disturbing slogans splattered on the front.

Now, we all know how us young adults feel about being told our shoulders aren’t allowing our male classmate to succeed in school, cue the eye roll once again, but the question is how does our administration feel about the dress code? Do they stand with us or are they still stuck in the mentalities that were implemented on them by older generations? Are girls targeted more than men, and should that change?

Well according to a few fellow teachers at Revere High School, most disagree with the rules forced on their students that shouldn’t have any correlation with their education. A freshman biology teacher known as Mr. Pinkerton believes the dress codes makes it seem as though a male’s lack of concentration is the fault of a young girl who is at school to learn. Pinkerton claims it seems as though the rules place the male’s needs over the female’s educational needs. To tell a woman her shoulder showing is making her male classmate uncomfortable and taking away from his education is absolutely absurd and I don’t see why schools around the world have yet to realize that in the twenty-first century. What a woman wears is primarily up to her and no school administrator should have a say in that as long as she is safe. A woman showing skin, that every other human has, does not put her in harm’s way and therefore should not concern anyone other than herself. To be told we have to cover up so our friends can concentrate in class and succeed in life belittles us and our plans to succeed as well. Every woman has the right to go to school and educate herself, strive for her goals, her outfit is not a problem, the problem is administration claiming it’s a problem. People sexualise a shoulder or a midriff when it’s something every single individual in this world obtains. So next time you tell a girl to cover up for your own good, think about how wrong that sound’s and work to better yourself so you feel comfortable with others being comfortable in their own skin. That’s something we should all strive for in the end.