The Patriot Voice

Student Athlete Drug Tests

Dayven Diaz, Staff Writer

Should student athletes be required to take drug tests? Absolutely. In this day and age, it wouldn’t be surprising that a coach was having certain players use Performance Enhancement Drugs to help out his team. Would giving the players drug tests have a bad effect on them? No. The players aren’t physically affected at all, and it is a great way to just check up on the players, making sure that they aren’t using PED’s. If the high school associations along with the NCAA are going to apply these rules, it should be randomized so that the players don’t feel as if they aren’t being “picked on.” At this point, you’re thinking, why don’t they just test them if it’s not going to hurt them? In 1995 the US Supreme Court ruled in support of random interscholastic student athlete drug testing. Which is the reason that some schools are allowed and have decided to give their students a drug test. The most common type of drug test is through urination and schools use it to try and catch their students if they are smoking, drinking or using illegal substances. It is a great and easy way to keep your kids on the right track, and should be used in more schools across America.

Now let’s see what a student athlete has to say about being drug test. Donato Collarossi, a senior at Revere High, is a student athlete and he stated, “ I don’t believe there is an issue with drug testing, as long as it is randomized”. Currently, Revere High doesn’t drug test their students, however if the coach sees something suspicious, he has the right to drug test the player. This is how most high schools across the nation treat their student athletes. High school coaches being able to drug test if something is suspicious, is great, but it’s not all that effective. Most coaches aren’t capable of being a detective and making sure that their students are clean. This is where the randomized drug testing comes into play. If athletes themselves don’t have an issue with this, then why isn’t it mandatory for all schools? It’d be the easiest and safest way to make sure that all student athletes are doing the correct thing and staying clean. Back in 2006,  it was reported that 6% of student athletes have used steroids but now the number is thought to be much higher. Suddenly, you start to think of how many athletes have an unfair advantage over the other athletes because of prohibited drugs. If we don’t put an end to this soon, teams will begin to abuse it, and therefore ruin high school and collegiate level sports.