The Patriot Voice

Impending Substance Abuse Epidemic in RHS

Jonathan Ramos, Staff Writer

You walk into class and you sit down. You turn around and you see a student pull out a USB, or at least something that looks like one. They bring it to their mouth and inhale, and let out a puff of smoke. It’s a Juul.

A Juul is a type of E-cigarette that resembles a USB. It’s a vaping device that a lot of teenagers have been using. Originally intended to help smokers quit, it has found another purpose, and not a better one. Legally, it is only available to adults 18 or older, but that wouldn’t stop anyone.

We interviewed many different people ranging from health teachers, to administrators, and anonymous students. A majority opinion that we received was that there’s nothing we can do about juuling. It can’t be controlled or restricted. At the very most, all that can be done is to prohibit it and punish the ones caught. Which is not an easy task, seeing as the vapor that is produced dissipates almost instantly. It also looks similar to a USB and is easy to hide, making it difficult for teachers to catch. Students are even going as far as juuling in class, bathrooms, anywhere really. This apparent carelessness is clearly not without reason.

Every student we interviewed knew what it was, some thought it was stupid, yet had tried it regardless. An anonymous student stated “I think its gross”, yet when we questioned whether she would try it or if she has tried it, she answered yes to both. We had also asked her if she tried it more than once, which she stated yes. So clearly it’s not a lack of knowledge that is causing people to try it, it’s peer pressure. We interviewed two students and asked if they would try it if at a party, and both responded yes.

Even though everybody criticized it, mostly every student interviewed had tried it, which is the problem. We all have a desire to fit in, and we’re teenagers in high school. So obviously, if there’s a chance to fit in and go with the common crowd, people are most likely to do so. Maybe juuling can’t be controlled or restricted, but it doesn’t have to happen in school.

On the other hand, another student we interviewed hadn’t tried it and admitted that if she was at a party where a lot of people were doing it, stated “I would leave”, so not everybody caves into peer pressure. However, it’s not just peer pressure, it’s also attributed to popular celebrities that also do it “hyping it up” as another student stated. Overall, it’s a lack of knowledge of how bad for you it can be, peer pressure from friends can be, and wanting to fit in and relate to what famous people are doing, that are all contributing to this epidemic.

2 Comments

2 Responses to “Impending Substance Abuse Epidemic in RHS”

1. simone on January 31st, 2019 10:22 am

I agree with the fact that many students and teenagers are vaping/juuling because of peer pressure and I feel as though it is important to point that out. people underestimate how we can all influence each other, for example, there are students who literally would switch their whole wardrobe to try to fit in and look like everyone else and there are other examples of student influence. It is something that needs to be brought attention to because of peer pressure and student influence individualism is at risk.

2. Bryana on April 22nd, 2019 1:47 pm

I agree that juuling is really bad and kids dont know how to use it. A lot of kids get pressured into vaping and doing other bad things. Juuling was not supposed to become this big thing that is so popular now, it was supposed to help stop you from smoking but actually it turned into smoking more and now is even worse then cigeretts.

If you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a gravatar.

• Impending Substance Abuse Epidemic in RHS

News and Features

What I’ve Learned in High School

News and Features

Colleges Move to Early Decision; BC goes ED

News and Features

Infotainment: A Conclusive List of Benefits to Subarctic Temperatures

News and Features

Catch Up!

News and Features

Poetry, Classrooms, and Community

News and Features

Thinking About Becoming A Youtuber?

News and Features

The Class of 2020 is on Fire!

News and Features

Do You Think We Need A Change?

News and Features

Steer Away From College Debt, Fill Out FAFSA Now!

News and Features

A Sit Down With Dr. Perella