The Patriot Voice

The Newspaper Club: An Editor’s Perspective

Back to Article
Back to Article

Yasmin Gutierrez and Karen Granados Alvarez, Staff Writers

The newspaper club is a place where students help create and manage the Revere High School newspaper, The Patriot Voice. It is a site to provide information about students, current events and the community.

It is important to be informed with current events in school because it allows you to understand the school and be able to enjoy being there, which will allow you to have the best experience. Coming into high school can be a confusing time since you don’t know what it will be like but The Patriot Voice gives you an inside look to RHS.

Once you’re a junior or senior you worry about life after high school and college. There are many helpful classes and information given to be prepared for college but it is important to know about them, this platform gives you that. Since so much crucial information can be found it is essential that students get involved and join to have their own voice in the club.

During an interview, Rim Bensadok, RHS news editor, gives her thoughts on the newspaper club. As editor she keeps track of the club and their motives. There are different jobs in the club such as writer and editor. Currently, the online Newspaper, the Patriot Voice, is not being updated regularly because the club is focusing on funding. “We use the funding for other fundraisers… to be able to be more vocal and be able to get the things we want to get whether it’s an app or whether it’s different features of the website or tangible things for the club…”. One source of funding is a Halloween bake sale coming soon. (EDIT. Event was on 10/31/18)

“I first heard about the club from my sister, she was the president of the club last year… she knew that I loved being vocal and presenting my work in such a manner that we do in this club originally so automatically I thought it was a great fit for me… it’s a very important piece of our school.”  When asked about her thoughts on the club she said that it is, “very interesting and well organized”. There are students from different grades involved but the majority of students are seniors since they have been involved for a longer period of time.

Students from every grade level get a chance to interact and get to know each other in ways that they otherwise wouldn’t. They are committed and dedicated to giving other students a platform to have a voice with the newspaper. When they meet, the environment is “very fun” and friendly, where students can come together to “combine their skills and thoughts” to create a final product.

If you are interested in joining this club they meet after school, Thursday from 2:30-3:30 in room B4 with Ms. Walford. You will be able to help students and the community be informed and see different opinions and or perspectives to give others a spotlight through this online newspaper and share their stories. Don’t be afraid to join!