The Patriot Voice

What is Student Senate?

Noorjahan Mezrouh, Contributing Writer, Student Senate VP

The purpose of the RHS Student Senate is (1) to empower students to address and develop lasting solutions to issues facing the student body; (2) uphold the ideals of citizenship, scholarship, and achievement; (3) stimulate interest and participation in all student-owned academic and co-curricular activities; (4) create a reputation of which we will be proud, and (5) provide a means of cooperation between the students, staff, faculty, and community via effective communication and active representation.

Included within our very own Constitution, Revere High School’s Student Senate serves the students in order to shape our school and its environment. From school spirit to academic participation, Student Senate uncovered and addressed the most popular complaints, digging into issues of tardiness and even ensuring the legal rights of students. Student Senate is about the students. What does our school population want to change? Where are students most dissatisfied? How can we change this? These are the fundamental questions of our school government.

With our Constitution, Senators, voting protocol, and group discussions, Student Senate operates like a governmental organization. Started by students, controlled by students, and serving students, this group offers a voice to leaders of change. What must be said is what should be said. Student Senate provides leadership opportunities, allowing different peers to facilitate meetings, offering students a chance to go to leadership conferences, and encouraging the most quiet of voices to contribute to a conversation. Our student government is more than just a club or extra-curricular activity; it is a place where peers interact to solve the most pressing issues at our school.

At the end of my freshmen year, I applied to be a Senator. Going into Senate, I never imagined that I could improve our school in this way. As a junior, I look forward to each meeting, knowing that I can make a difference in the world, even if its just in our school. However, as a high school student, our school is my world. Not only did I contribute, I also learned. I learned how to listen, not just hear, people’s ideas, I learned how to curate action steps based on specific goals, I learned how to merge my ideas with others, and I learned how to be a part of a community. Although Student Senate is only four years, these lessons will walk me through many more experiences beyond high school.

5 Comments

5 Responses to “What is Student Senate?”

1. snoadmin on May 16th, 2018 1:49 pm

Testing

2. Greg Badolato on May 18th, 2018 1:35 pm

Good job on the article, feeling more informed.

3. Walid Afioune on May 18th, 2018 1:36 pm

I agree that the student senate is very important because it shapes our school and the students.

4. Felix Aponte on May 18th, 2018 1:42 pm

This sounds like a very interesting club to join. I do like the idea of learning leadership skills and trying to improve the school in any way. What are you guys working on now?

5. Scott Toglan on June 5th, 2018 10:54 am

I like the idea of the student senate.

If you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a gravatar.

• What is Student Senate?

News and Features

Ten Things You Didn’t Know About Me: Mr. Cinelli

• What is Student Senate?

News and Features

The Perks of Being an Intern

• What is Student Senate?

News and Features

Zombies in School?

• What is Student Senate?

News and Features

Senior Advice on Making it to Graduation

• What is Student Senate?

News and Features

Need Help With Your Writing?

• What is Student Senate?

News and Features

The Many Perks of Dual Enrollment

• What is Student Senate?

News and Features

Yellow looks good on you: Everything you need to know about Ofo’s arrival in Revere

• What is Student Senate?

News and Features

Student Spotlight: Mithsuca Berry

• What is Student Senate?

News and Features

Revere High School and Credit Union Partner with College Planning Organization

• What is Student Senate?

News and Features

Student Spotlight: Mayanka Meristal

What is Student Senate?