The Patriot Voice

The Perks of Being an Intern

Jaymi Ortiz, Staff Writer

Every day, during school hours, there are students who walk out the front doors of the building, their heads held high, their lungs filling with crisp air, their bodies relaxing as they walk into the natural sunlight. These students have taken on internships which allow them to leave the setting of an RHS classroom and learn in a professional business environment. 

Up until a few years ago, internships were nonexistent. In the fall of 2015, Ms. Finn started the school’s internship program which was taken over by Ms. Currie in the fall of 2016.  

Not only do internships give students a bit of freedom but they also give students a better idea of life after high school. “Having the opportunity to go to different companies and businesses allows kids to see what’s out there in terms of professional opportunities.” explains, Ms. Currie, External Learning Opportunities Coordinator.

Internships leave a mark on students; these opportunities make students aware of the expectations that lie ahead. As Ms. Currie notes, internships are a way for students to see that “there is life outside of high school and that in order to get into some of the careers students are thinking about they need to understand the pathway to get there.”

Currie also stresses that internships are an eye-catching addition to college applications. “Colleges want to see that students have done something that is a bit out of the box. They want to see that students have taken steps further [than the normal requirements].”

While there is always the possibility that a student may not like his or her internship, this does not mean the value of one is lost.  “Students can benefit in a lot of ways from difficult situations or from not liking their [internship]… I think student need to learn how to problem solve, know how to approach their employers with their concerns about the work they’re doing.”

Students interested in internships should speak with their guidance counselor or see Ms. Currie in her office found within the Writing Center.

7 Comments

7 Responses to “The Perks of Being an Intern”

1. Felix Aponte on May 16th, 2018 7:31 pm

I never knew how impactful this program was until I read this article. I never thought that being an intern would be such an educational experience. At least students get to leave school and learn instead of staying in a classroom the whole time. It’s a big change that I think works really well for the school.

2. Ashley Maldonado on May 17th, 2018 1:00 pm

Internships are a great way to taste the real world while you are in high school. It is also a great way to slowly but accurately find out what really interests you. I have found myself wanting to become a journalist because I had a great experience at the mayor’s office. I was able to see what happens within the community and write about it or simply write articles based on the internship. It also helps build a great resume for your colleges to look at.

3. Rissa on May 18th, 2018 1:37 pm

I think that this article is really important. Personally, I didn’t know that just by being an intern one can learn so much. It’s really great that you’re shining light on this topic, because many people are uneducated on it.

4. Tariq Browne Jr on June 5th, 2018 8:29 am

I find this to be a great and very interesting concept. Since not all students particularly love being under the High School ceiling 5 days a week, it provides them with the ability not only to do otherwise, but gain experience within a future career. I believe getting the most students involved over time would make it even more successful: right now, it looks great.

5. Denyella D'Urbano on June 5th, 2018 8:32 am

I would like to learn more about the different internships there are. This program seems like it is extremely helpful for students. It teaches them social skills and work skills. Also, it is great for colleges to look at, which is helpful for every student in high school.

6. Katherine Sandoval on June 5th, 2018 8:33 am

I do believe that internships are very important and it is very fascinating to get involved with it too. It definitely provides students a good perspective on what life may be like for them after they graduate. Internships are full of lessons and it helps students mature faster and give them opportunities to be able to teach others about how life will be like. Mostly in high school, students are growing and don’t want to be trapped in the same academic classes, so being able to leave school and experience new things can provide a new mindset.

7. Jamilet amoguea on June 5th, 2018 8:35 am

I think this accurately captures the freedom and amazing perks internship provides. An internship is something cool and many RHS students should know and be aware of it. I love how this article points out the college benefits that come with having an internship. Many students are looking for ways to create a good portfolio for colleges so it’s important that this article points that out.

If you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a gravatar.

• The Perks of Being an Intern

News and Features

Ten Things You Didn’t Know About Me: Mr. Cinelli

• The Perks of Being an Intern

News and Features

What is Student Senate?

• The Perks of Being an Intern

News and Features

Zombies in School?

• The Perks of Being an Intern

News and Features

Senior Advice on Making it to Graduation

• The Perks of Being an Intern

News and Features

Need Help With Your Writing?

• The Perks of Being an Intern

News and Features

The Many Perks of Dual Enrollment

• The Perks of Being an Intern

News and Features

Yellow looks good on you: Everything you need to know about Ofo’s arrival in Revere

• The Perks of Being an Intern

News and Features

Student Spotlight: Mithsuca Berry

• The Perks of Being an Intern

News and Features

Revere High School and Credit Union Partner with College Planning Organization

• The Perks of Being an Intern

News and Features

Student Spotlight: Mayanka Meristal

The Perks of Being an Intern