The Patriot Voice

Making Up Snow Days: Worth It or Just Extra?

Joseph Dimino, Staff Writer

Welcome to New England! Where winters (and early spring) are snow filled and, more often than not, multiple school days are canceled. When snow days arise, and students stay home for the day, the school is required to add on days at the end of the year. While these extra days are intended to make up time, they instead waste it. 

While makeup days are a fair practice in middle and elementary schools, it simply is not fair in high school. In the new age of technology, RHS students have Chromebooks that assist in getting work done quicker, more efficiently and from anywhere, even your own home. Now that teachers can (and do) assign work outside the walls of their classroom, a snow day is not a free day anymore.

Makeup days are pointless as students completed the work at home during the winter months. Adding days in June is simply unfair and unreasonable. Instead of doing things such as working, relaxing, or helping our families out, students have to wake up early for a day of school that they already completed through online assignments. 

There is also the matter surrounding the quality of learning in June. Most students view the last month of school as a countdown to vacation. While teachers may try to get students invested in lessons, students are not as mentally present as they were in January.

As a district, it is time that we recognize the hard work high school students do during snow days as well as realistically consider their schedules. A later end date means that students who have summer jobs or other responsibilities must postpone their commitments (and paychecks).

By viewing the issue of snow days from a student’s perspective, it is clear that the practice is an antiquated one. In the twenty-first century, students work from home just as other professionals do on days of inclement weather.

Snow days not only hurt students but all parties involved. Teachers, administrators and staff must also give up their time and money to complete these extra days.  When you look at the matter closely, make up days are quite the opposite of what they are called. It is safe to say that make up days are a requirement in need of some white-out.

4 Comments

4 Responses to “Making Up Snow Days: Worth It or Just Extra?”

1. Walid Afioune on May 16th, 2018 1:56 pm

I feel as that the snow days should not result into extra days into summer unless if it is a drastic amount of missed school days. I also agree that we have Chromebooks and are able to do work at home, but we also need to be in school to learn from the teacher in case we need help.

2. Sonia Buenrostro on June 5th, 2018 10:50 am

I think that the canceled days that we take because of the snow should add up at the end of the year because we were losing classes and things we need to learn, also I think that the fact that we have chrome books is good but bad at the same time because there are kids that only use it to play games or watch shows when we are supposed to do our work.

3. Sofia Gouriny on June 5th, 2018 10:52 am

I agree that making up the snow days is pointless because for all the snow days my teachers do assign work to do at home.

4. Ruth Labor on June 5th, 2018 10:53 am

I believe that making up days at the end of the year is the right thing to do. For example if we do miss multiple days, then I do believe that we should add some days. But then again teachers can assign work, and we´ll be able to get it done while at home.

If you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a gravatar.