The Patriot Voice

Need Help With Your Writing?

The Writing Center is Building Writers One Paper at a Time

Monique Brito, Staff Writer

Walking into the Writing Center, you are immediately struck by the liveliness of the atmosphere. The brightly lit space is abuzz with discussions about the writing process. Students and tutors are hard at work, holding discussions around the comfy and spacious room. The glass walls, covered in neon colored quotes, add to the air of positivity.  

Since it opened in 2015, the RHS Writing Center has become an invaluable resource to the school. “‘All writers need readers and that’s what we are, a supportive reader,” said Ms. Casper, coordinator of the Writing Center.  

The Writing Center is dedicated to supporting students in a way that ensures their writing is valued, an approach they learn during training with Ms. Casper. “I train them using a kind of minimalist tutor philosophy and what that involves is that we really want the students to do the work and to do the thinking”

Tutor meetings typically follow the same steps. As Ms. Casper explained, tutors begin their feedback by first telling the student what they are doing well. From there, they ask questions that get the student writer to think more deeply about their work. Tutors wrap up the discussion by coming up with the next steps for writing. These steps are based on the responses from the student writer.

It is no surprise that this method for feedback, has resulted in an increased demand for meetings with the tutors. “The biggest achievements are probably the amount of classes that we’ve worked with,” noted Ms. Casper.

In addition to the face to face meetings offered, the Writing Center has also built an online submission feature. Students can send their work to the RHS Writing Center and receive feedback within 24 hours.

While the online feature is helpful for students who are unable to meet in person, Ms. Casper still believes in the importance of meeting with a tutor one on one as it is the most effective form of discussion between tutor and writer. In order to best accommodate students’ schedules, the Writing Center now accepts meetings during lunch.

Overall, students should not shy away from the Writing Center in fear of negativity. Tutors do not criticize student writing. Tutors provide feedback, something that all writers, no matter their level of experience, need.