The Patriot Voice

Senior Advice on Making it to Graduation

Back to Article
Back to Article

Melena Huot, Staff Writer

Senior year – a year full of celebration as well as stress. A year when students work hard to set up post high school plans and incessantly dream of prom. Being a senior means juggling a multitude of responsibilities. While every senior survives their final year a different way, they all quickly learn that what you do as an underclassman ultimately impacts your level of senior stress.

Worried about how to prepare for senior year? Here are some pointers, from two seniors who are keeping it all together: Marllyn Pon and Ashley Puerto.   

1. Prioritize Your Portfolio

Portfolios, built through the website Richer Picture, are unfinished business for many RHS underclassmen.  Yet, many Seniors warn that an unfinished portfolio will inevitably add stress to an already stressful year.  “I would get portfolios done as soon as possible because I know people fall back on it and when you fall back on it, it’s kind of dreadful,” said senior Marllyn Pon.

2. Connect with Teachers

Solid impressions mean great recommendation letters. “Some of them have written letter of recommendations for me from school and I feel like I love to be the teacher’s pet because opportunities open up to you,” explains Ashley Puerto.   

3. Look at Grades the Right Way

“Don’t let your grades define who you are or your level of intelligence because that will only bring yourself down and you don’t want to do that in high school,” Marllyn Pon wisely notes. If you fail an assignment, do not let it defeat you. Instead, focus on the ways you can improve your grades.

4. Keep Your Eye on the Prize

Do not get overwhelmed by the amount of work that lies between you and graduation. Take it one task at a time and don’t forget to enjoy the ride!

About the Writer
10 Comments

10 Responses to “Senior Advice on Making it to Graduation”

1. Marta Portillo on May 16th, 2018 1:51 pm

I really liked your article because you have given ready good points and give people the information they did to be able to graduate high school, i feel like it’s good to read when you don’t know the information and when someone can’t tell you about it, i also feel like you as a writer did also learn and it’s good because you need your news gathering.

2. Greg Badolato on May 16th, 2018 2:17 pm

I like this article and the tips it gave.

3. tatianna Iacoviello on May 18th, 2018 1:42 pm

Such a good advice maker. every senior needs to look at it! Love the article

4. Gabriela Jimenez on June 5th, 2018 8:27 am

I like the way they point out the negative things to about senior year and not only good things like prom and high school plans

5. Crystal Valente on June 5th, 2018 8:29 am

I really like the points given in this article. It is very important to follow through with each of these steps if you want to be successful in high school.

6. Justin Gullage on June 5th, 2018 8:29 am

This is a very helpful article. I will definitely refer to this senior year if I do not have my priorities straight.

7. Gabriela Jimenez on June 5th, 2018 8:30 am

I like the way you point out the negative things , like stress, about senior year and not only the good things like prom and high school plans. Its better when an article its clear and describes both sides like you did.

8. Gabriela Barroso on June 5th, 2018 8:31 am

This article could open a discussion on bigger issues within RHS in terms of making sure they make hit all the graduation requirements. I’d love to see an article highlighting ways the school itself falls short in supporting students. Whether it be through dissecting the unstable way of communication between admin and students, or the lack of proper guidance support due to a small staff, sharing the weight of the RHS experience could make students feel less isolated in their time here in high school.

9. Angelice Leng on June 5th, 2018 8:32 am

Although I am a sophomore, I am definitely going to take this into account my senior year!

10. Ayat Zakaria on June 5th, 2018 8:38 am

This article really opened my mind upon what i should do as a sophomore to prepare myself for senior year. I always beat my self up if i do not do well on a certain assignment but i should just focus on studying on what i do not understand and also not thinking that i am going to fail the whole class. Also stop procrastination.

If you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a gravatar.

• Senior Advice on Making it to Graduation

News and Features

Colleges Move to Early Decision; BC goes ED

News and Features

Infotainment: A Conclusive List of Benefits to Subarctic Temperatures

News and Features

Catch Up!

News and Features

Poetry, Classrooms, and Community

News and Features

Thinking About Becoming A Youtuber?

News and Features

The Class of 2020 is on Fire!

News and Features

Impending Substance Abuse Epidemic in RHS

News and Features

Do You Think We Need A Change?

News and Features

Steer Away From College Debt, Fill Out FAFSA Now!

News and Features

A Sit Down With Dr. Perella