The Patriot Voice

The Many Perks of Dual Enrollment

Back to Article
Back to Article

The Many Perks of Dual Enrollment

Omar Bendjahene, Staff Writer

“I wish I knew about it earlier” a common statement from upperclassman when asked about dual enrollment. Many underclassmen might ask what is this “dual enrollment?” For those who aren’t familiar with the program, dual enrollment is an opportunity that enables high school students to take courses at a local college.

There are a number of benefits to dual-enrollment programs including the experience of a college classroom as well as possible college credit

“It was really interesting to see how college works,” junior, Marwane Sayed said.

Dual enrollment offers students an environment that prepares them for the future: a classroom full of unfamiliar faces;  professors instead of teachers and; lectures instead of paperwork.

Because the program includes students from surrounding high schools, RHS students also have the opportunity to build friendships with students from other schools.

“I met a couple of new kids that I still communicate with to this day” junior, Marwane Sayed explained.

Possibly the most important aspect of dual enrollment, its classes can actually help boost your GPA.

“Because they are college courses they are a higher academic level, so we treat them the same as we treat our advanced placement classes so they are actually a 1.2 weight,” Ms. Currie, Coordinator of College, Careers and External Learning Opportunities, stated.

Although, a boost in your GPA is not a guarantee in this program.  As Currie explained,“your GPA can also drop if you don’t receive a good grade.” An increase in your GPA depends on how hard you work when taking these courses.

A dual enrollment course  also goes on your transcript, an impressive class selection to colleges.

Students who are interested but also intimidated by the idea of taking a challenging course should keep in mind that there is a trial period for the class. If students decide to take the class and want to drop out of it, they have up to five days after the first class to do so. Students who drop out after that five day window,  will have a withdrawal placed on their transcripts; a mark which will not impress colleges.

To sign up for dual enrollment, students need to first fill out an application and have it signed by their Vice Principal,  guidance counselor and parent or guardian.

Once a student has completed this process, they then meet with Ms. Currie to decide the specific class they will take as well as the college where they will take it. Additionally, student have the option of selecting the course as a fourth period  or fifth period class, depending upon availability.

About the Writer